quesWife refusing to sign for 2nd motion in mutual divorce. What can i do?

What should I do if my wife is now refusing to sign the papers for the second motion of our Divorce case? We had applied for a mutual divorce. The first motion happened last year. Now, after 6 months when we were nearing the date of hearing for the second motion, her advocate stated that she will not appear for the hearing.


I don’t know the reason behind this decision but she is now not ready to sign on the papers. What should I do in this case?


  • ans


    In a Divorce by mutual consent, both the parties have the freedom to withdraw their consent as the consent cannot be taken by coercion.


    However, if you and your wife had entered into a settlement agreement while filing the divorce by mutual consent whereby the amount of maintenance was mentioned and other terms and conditions of separation were enumerated, then you can initiate a contempt of court proceedings against the wife. (This has been recently allowed by the Delhi High Court). 


    If acting on the settlement you have made any payment, you can file a complaint for cheating on your wife.


    Alternately, the remedy available to you is to file a Divorce petition under any of the grounds mentioned under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. This would be a contested petition and may take a much longer period for you to get Divorced as compared to your current petition under Mutual grounds wherein the time taken is 6 months under normal circumstances.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • See the video below to know more about this Divorce legal issue

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I want to know: 1. How much compensation I will have to give to my…
My brother in law fileed. Suite against my sister to take divorce based on not…
Husband of my daughter has filed a divorce petition against my daughter in Maharastra family…
Can you please tell me how much maintaince i will get as my husband is…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly