quescan dowry case be filed 7 years after marriage?

i have been living with my parents since 5 years as my in laws used to harass me for dowry and i have a 5 year old daughter. Now i want to get money for my daughter and want to stay with my husband and in laws. Also, can i file a dowry case 7 years after marriage?

  • ans

    Assuming you are Hindus,

    Regarding staying with your in laws,

    you can file a petition under section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act which deals with restitution of conjugal rights demanding right to residence with husband.

    Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 has been explained below for your understanding:

    Section 9. 

    Restitution of conjugal rights - When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.


    Regarding maintenance,

    You can file a maintenance petition under section 125 Cr.P.C. under which you and your daughter are entitled to maintenance/alimony from your husband separately. 

    Now about dowry case,

    The case can be filed at any time, there no limitiation if still you are facing cruelty and dowry demands.


    Click here to find the best matrimonial lawyer in your city.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My wife is threatening me her brother will kill me she has 7 brothers she…
Meri shadi Ko 4 months ho gye cort marred kiya ghar pe nhi btaya ab…

If the husband doesn't give mutual divorce consent then how to get the separation? Husband…

What can I do if I am not willing to leave my wife who has…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly