×

quesFiancee harasses his partner. What all actions can she take?

I have a case in my family where a girl had an affair of three months approx. and she trusted the guy as they were in the same profession. Moreover, his parents contacted us and requested us to visit their place. The boy's father told us to perform initial ceremony (rokna) within two days and we did it accordingly.

But now the girl starts complaining that boy uses vulgar language, makes sexual contacts and threatens her to break the relation. He also puts allegations on the girl that she has another relation and snatched her mobile. The girl cannot even talk to her female friends.

What should she do?

She can register a complaint in the nearest police station for the offence of sexual harassment under Section 509 and criminal intimidation under Section 506.

She can break off the roka (engagement). However, if the boy refuses to let her break the roka (engagement), then she can also register a complaint under Section 366 of the Indian Penal Code for the offence of inducing a women to compel her for marriage.