How can I legally become a partner of a startup company.

My seniors have a startup and they want me to develop there app for them. I think i can help them and i also want to be partners with them for some equity as they can't yet pay me. So, what steps i can take to partner with them and be legally safe.

Answers (4)

267 votes

you need to have a share transfer agreement with the company and get it registered, the agreement must cite out exact conditions for share transfer and consideration in form of equity is a valid consideration.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

76 votes

You need to enter into an equity based assignment contract wherein you will ask for partnership in against your professional expertise being passed on to the start up. Further there are lots of other checks, if and but which you need to disclose and get an idea over the same from a lawyer before going any step ahead with your plan.

Popular Startup Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
8 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience
278 votes


You can ask for formal joining in a meeting of all partners, this should be done in parity with partnership deed.Also, you will require to have a look at payment mode and mechanism for the services/expertise you will be rendering.Get in touch for details

64 votes

you need to enter into a shareholders agreement which will specify your shareholding percentage and the number of shares you will be given. to secure you, the shareholders agreement will need a clause to state that your shareholding will be maintained at 'x'% even if further shares are issued. you can also be asked to be put on the board of directors so that you are part of the decision making process.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Startup Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles