Filing of RTI to get information on Police Report

30-Mar-2023 (In R.T.I Law)
My friend is belonged to Hindu family. She had loved and married with out registering any document a Hindu person. After marriage she knew that person was already married a woman and having 8 years old son. That women gave complaint about my friend in the Police station. The women police asked My friend to write, that she will relieve from this illegal affair. Hereafter she won't disturb that man and his family. She had done that. The police didn't file FIR. Because my friend accepted with petition itself. CSR receipt alone given to that lady. After that my friend's family arranged the marriage to my friend with another person by saying this matter orally. The new bride groom also accepted. After 45 days of marriage the newly married person filed a case against my friend for divorce. For that the person asked that report to that police station by Filing RTI Act. The police also gave that record also. My question is Whether the police can give that record about my friend by RTI?
Answers (1)

Answer #1
693 votes
There are several High Court and Supreme Court judgements that site that FIR is a public document. An application under the right to information may be referred to the police to get a copy of F.I.R alone. However, matters of investigation and collected data cannot be asked on RTI. So, yes, the person might have obtained a copy of the FIR via RTI or even by downloading it from police website, as FIRs are available online except for sensitive cases.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."