Can I get 20 yrs old complaint copy from a Police station using RTI?

I need police complaint of an incident that happend 20 years ago, can I get it thru RTI? Does RTI has any limitations?

Answers (2)

320 votes

A complaint copy might be destroyed and the department is not needed to mandatorily keep a copy of all documents received via post or in-person. However, any FIR that has been filed may be retrieved with the help of RTI.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

258 votes

RTI Act does not have any limitation period for asking information from the public authority. but the thing is you must see whether the information sought by you will available with the authority. certain documents will not be kept for longer period of time and it will be destroyed after giving public notice

Popular R.T.I Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Anil Kumar Singh
Brahmaputra Enclave, Ranchi
8 years Experience
Advocate Saket Bisaani
Gavipuram Extension, Bangalore
6 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the R.T.I Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

We are approx 1000 parents of NCR and want to go superme court against hike of fee and other charges of one school of Noida. .. Is it possible if yes …

Read More

I completed B.E Computer Science and Engineering from J.J College of Engineering and Technology under Anna University,Chennai. I joined under Lateral …

Read More

Few years back my property was sealed by the government. Now i am trying to obtain my file from the government office to file a case against them and …

Read More

My neighbour runs a garment factory which involves the use of industrial iron which is a source of noise and vibrations to my home. I reside in Shrini…

Read More