Borrowed money already repaid but security documents not returned

I borrowed 20000rs from my friend on 04-11-2016 and returned money but he did returned those papers as he saying he lost those papers. What should I do to secure myself from further future

You take a receipt from your friend that you have paid back the money taken from him and the way you paid back through cheque or direct to bank mention those details and take his sign and mention in the receipe that you have given security papers for the same but he lost the papers, hence, this receipt confirming your payment and no dues are pending, take two witnesses sign along with his sign.

Is there any repayment receipt you have? If you have recepit you issue notice through the lawyer and he did not response that notice. You file criminal case against him through the lawyer. Without any payment receipt you did not file case against him .

LH House, Bangalore