Property Dispute: Brother and Sister

My grandfather passed away in 2011 and we live in the house on his name. My grandfather has only 2 children - my father (Age: 58 years) and his sister (Age: 62years). My grandmother is bed ridden for the past few years and stays with us in our house. Both parents stayed with us throughout their life and their medical and other needs are also taken care of by us. My grandfather did not leave any will behind. The house papers have been taken by my aunt (fathers sister) and she is not willing to relinquish her share or even decide to sell the house and take half ; till my grandmother is there. We need help in understanding our options since she is really troubling us a lot for the past few years. We are Hindus living for the past 45 years in East Delhi

Answers (4)

142 votes

As per the information provided by you, the following picture emerges:

The house was owned by your grandfather and the he died intestate, i.e., without leaving any Will. Further, after his death he is survived by his widow, i.e., your grand mother and two children, i.e., your father and your aunt.

Thus, as per law, your grandmother, your father and your aunt have inherited the property in equal shares, i.e., 1/3rd Share each. If your aunt is not willing to relinquish her share then she at present is entitled to 1/3rd share in the property.

However, if she is not willing to sell the property, then the only option is to file a suit for partition whereby the provided is divided into three portion and if division is not possible then the property is sold through auction and each share holder gets 1/3rd share in the sale proceeds. As far as papers are concerned, certified copies of the documents can be procured from respective authorities if details of such documents are known.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

304 votes

There are two kinds of properties: self-acquired and ancestral.

In case the property of grandfather was self acquired and he did not leave any will behind, then by law (Hindu Succession Act, 1956; S.6 r/w S.8) the property will devolve by what is known as intestate succession (Succession in absence of will). Under this succession the property would devolve upon class-I heirs which in this case would include, among others, the Son, Daughter and the wife of the deceased.

I'm leaving the succession of the ancestral property undisccused, as it is usually very unlikely to be the case. If however it is so, let me know and I'll discuss it.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
212 votes

Your Aunt has a share equal to your father in this ancestral property. You cannot force her to sell her portion, though you can demand legal partition and sell your share. Though, from a purely monetary perspective, that may not give you as much return as you may get if you sell the property as a whole and then divide the share. The best recourse will be to either postpone the sale of the house as per the wish of your aunt or to convice her to sell her share too. But since that seems very unlikely, you may start the partition proceeding which should force her to accept your demand as it will reduce the value of her share too. Contact me if you want to take these actions.

308 votes

For the query you posted, I would suggest the following:

As regards the facts presented by you, there are certain options availiable to you legally which may turn out to be helpful.

You can always file a partition suit wherein the property will be divided in accordance with your share and such a problem will stand abated.

You can as well come to an amicable settlement which should be the primary option.

I hope this answers your query.

M.Far is

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles