Making a Registered Will in India

21-Feb-2024 (In Property Law)
I am now a British Citizen but was born in India and lived in India till I migrated to England in 2001. I have an OCI Card, Adhaar Card and PAN Card, and file my Income tax returns regularly. My question is : Can I make a Registered Will in India?

Answer #1
Yes you can make a Registered Will in india if the beneficiary or the properties are within the jurisdiction of India. There is no bar for propounding a Will for an OCI card holder. For any further assistance feel free to contact

Thanks
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
Do you have a property situated here in India for which you wish to registered a Will. You may seek a detailed legal consultation for your issue. Will Can be executed here in India and can also be registered. We recently advised one of our clients on similar issue as they are staying in Canada
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
It largely depends upon where your properties are based also the citizenship of the person in whose name will, will be executed.
If your assets for which you wish to execute a will are in India or the person in whose name will, will be executed lives in india then you can register a will in India.

Also, it is important to note that there is no bar as to the citizenship of the testator.

in short, yes you are eligible to register a will in India
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
Yes, you can write a will it is equally valid. Also you can register the same with the executive magistrate. For registering the will your presence is necessary, whereas for unregistered ones your presence is not necessary you can write from England and may have two witnesses at the time of signing the will.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #5
Respected sir
Of course, you are authorised to make and execute a will subject to conditions that the property in question should not be an agricultural land or a plantation property. The property may be bequeathed not in favour of everyone, there are certain laws for that as well. Most importantly drafting a will needs experience and expertise, which an advocate who has dealt with litigations regarding wills can help you in order to avoid legal complications in future. You may consult me in that regard.
Good luck!
Helpful? LawRato LawRato