Legal procedure for exchange of inherited property between brothers

My brother and I have properties that we inherited. We would like to exchange them for convenience and management. What is the best way to us to do this while minimizing taxes. Can we gift each other the properties?

Answers (3)

Dear Sir,
As you have not mentioned your gender identity, it is little unspecific reply as it differs with your gender. If I suppose you both are brothers to whom the property has been inherited from your ancestors, and you both have registered deeds of the said properties, then you may exchange your properties mutually.
for this also there is a little requirement like both of you must agree for this transaction, and again registry for exchange has to be done with the local Registrar. In our country, exchange is also a legal mode of transfer of property. Some sections of registration act also would need to be satisfied. Its an easy process.
Thankyou for the query.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You can execute transfer deeds in favour of the other parties and/ or relinquishment deed for your properties in favour of the other. Except however, I would like to understand the nature of the property, is it self earned or ancestral. That may make a difference.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
26 years Experience

Firstly, i want to inform you that an inherited property cannot be gifted unless and until it has been transferred in your name and you have a legal ownership of that property, therefore, please mention in your query that the property you have inherited is in your name or not. Because mere possession of a property does not make you a legal owner, a proper transfer is must. But even if you want to sell or gift it to someone in a legal manner you first need to make it legally yours.

Secondly , if the property you have inherited is a coparcenary property then also you can dispose of your undivided interest in the property through a will or other testamentary disposition but you cannot make a gift of such interest without the consent of other coparceners.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My father bought a plot jointly with me. After his death whether I am owner of the whole plot or I have to share with my brother or with my mother? I …

Read More

Greetings sir/madam. We are two sons in a family. I am the youngest one. And my mother recently passed away and I have a issue in sharing the earning …

Read More

My Father died in Feb 1996.. He has A Self Acquired property in Jayanagar..we are two offsprings Me(female) married and my brother.. and my mother is …

Read More

My father and my uncles were 4 brothers(Suppose A B C and D) living in a joint family until 1990 when they split up.A is the eldest brother;B is the 2…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue