Joint property sold without my consent what is the legal remedy?

We are three brothers and 2 have expired. Children of one brother have sold the part (including commercial portion)to other brother kids without my consent. I had to file FIR and advocate to stop registration of portion occupied by me. What are other legal options available. I had spent lot of money and suffered mental harrasment to stop registration of my portion. Under which section i can claim compensation from them to register the porperty portion without division of house and also mental harrasment . I am staying from more than 30 years at this place and they tried to register part of it

Answers (3)

136 votes

You seem to have already filed an FIR therefore no other legal remedy under criminal law. In order just to claim compensation you will have to file a suit for damages on account of harassment and monetary loss and peace of mind.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

124 votes

A co sharer in the joint property can
sell or transfer his share only to the extent to which he is entitled.He can not sell a specific number or specific portion without partition.A sale deed without partition which bears specific number or portion is not binding upon other co sharers.You may file a suit for partition alongwith claiming the relief of injunction not to alter,modify, demolish the joint property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
92 votes

Your remedy shall accrue from your right in the property. In the event property is an ancestral property and you have right in the property, then yes you have a remedy against children of your brothers who have transferred share in the property among-st themselves. Since they have done transaction of your share in property as well, without your consent, you have right to stop them by filing injunction suit against them. In the event they have committed some forgery of documents, or may have filed false declarations, you may file criminal cases as well. Lot shall depend upon specifics of the case, for which you may contact me with specific details.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles