How to proceed with Property ownership papers

Planning to buy a flat. Papers were provided but my lawyer says he needs ownership papers from 1960 but what we provided was from 1970 only without which he cannot proceed with legal opinion..is this true..looks like the builder do not have this info

30 years documents are more than sufficient to give legal opinion. Just check whether property got any litigation at court or encumbrance or any other legal hurdles which can be identified by perusing the documents. If it doesn't fall under any kind of legal complications then 30 years clear documents are enough to give legal opinion. Whereas you have documents since 1970 means it is more than 40 years your lawyer can go ahead.

Actually to satisfy all legal scrutiny Your Lawyer should have asked for ownership documents from 1956 because of the limitation time provided in certain matters. It appears that the apartment complex where you intend to buy a flat is not developed- constructed by a big builder. But I do not certify all big builders for that matter, as I found that 2 acres of Elita in Bannerghatta project was illegal.

Dear you can go through your lawyer advice, his version is correct, may be developer was not gone deep route of the property ownership, now a days you can get complete written legal opinion and you can take OC and CC from developer which are issued by concerned authority. It is very important role in the property matter. If you want more advice in this regard, I will do it.

usually EC of 31 years is required and that will suffice. But it depends from case to case and if the origin of the title of the land looks ambiguous, the lawyer may have to trace it backwards to 1960.