How to proceed with Property ownership papers

Planning to buy a flat. Papers were provided but my lawyer says he needs ownership papers from 1960 but what we provided was from 1970 only without which he cannot proceed with legal this true..looks like the builder do not have this info

Answers (4)

30 years documents are more than sufficient to give legal opinion. Just check whether property got any litigation at court or encumbrance or any other legal hurdles which can be identified by perusing the documents. If it doesn't fall under any kind of legal complications then 30 years clear documents are enough to give legal opinion. Whereas you have documents since 1970 means it is more than 40 years your lawyer can go ahead.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Actually to satisfy all legal scrutiny Your Lawyer should have asked for ownership documents from 1956 because of the limitation time provided in certain matters. It appears that the apartment complex where you intend to buy a flat is not developed- constructed by a big builder. But I do not certify all big builders for that matter, as I found that 2 acres of Elita in Bannerghatta project was illegal.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience

Dear you can go through your lawyer advice, his version is correct, may be developer was not gone deep route of the property ownership, now a days you can get complete written legal opinion and you can take OC and CC from developer which are issued by concerned authority. It is very important role in the property matter. If you want more advice in this regard, I will do it.

usually EC of 31 years is required and that will suffice. But it depends from case to case and if the origin of the title of the land looks ambiguous, the lawyer may have to trace it backwards to 1960.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Sir, Re-development agreement signed in 2001 and we got possession of flat in 2004, where Carpet Area is less by 200+ Sq.Ft. Carpet Area as per Develo…

Read More

I owned one shop in building, terrace rights are with builder, now I have rent my shop for atm, builder is asking fix amount per month for dish instal…

Read More

Sir I have booked a apartment. The Sale agreement date is 17-6-2015. The agreement not registered, However the bank paid stamp duty on it. My possessi…

Read More

We have bought plot in Bangalore in 1994 from builders and got Khata. I am paying property tax regularly and even got the construction approval from B…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue