Consequences of not paying the EMI of the property in joint name

Hi, I have a 2bhk flat in joint name with my wife. I want to sell the house and not continue with the high EMI anymore. I have made all payments of the house till date including down-payment and emi. She is not letting me sell the house. I have recently filed for a divorce as well. What options n consequences do I have if I stop paying the EMIs?

Answers (3)

83 votes

You are filed a suit for divorce is your family have taken a loan For a purchase of the house. At that time u sign required documents for the loan. I think so you have to pay EMI. If you stop paying EMI bank will take legal action against you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

189 votes

hello dear client, first you tell me how much you had paid till now and upto how much your balance is remaining, and if you are going for divorce then you have to mention me how much your wife is earning and were she work (means, in which profession she is). for further plz contact me.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
211 votes

Please approach the concerned Banking legal department to guide you in this process. They will give you leading initiatives as to what needs to be done and what are the documents that are quintessential for further actions.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles