Clarification on share of daughter in father's property

My father is the sole owner of the ancestoral property of my grandmother which she inherited from her mother.i am my dads only daughter.What rights do i have on that properties as the girl child?Do i have to agree on the sale of these properties to third party?

Answers (3)

306 votes

The property does not appear to be ancestral, but personal to your father. He can dispose of it any manner during his lifetime; he does not require anyone's consent for selling or otherwise disposing of the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

142 votes

As your father is the sole owner of the property and that particular property being an ancestral property it is you who will own the property after him. Your father is not supposed to dispose off the ancestral property without your consent. The property will devolve upon you after your father.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
236 votes

As per the information that you have provided above, your father is the sole owner of the ancestoral property of your grandmother which she inherited from her mother. The fact that you are your dad's only daughter does not have any relevance now as long as your father is alive. As long as your father is the sole owner of the property, he can sell it off to anybody he wishes without the consent of any one else including you. Therefore your consent is not required to sell the property to a third party.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles