Can I sell my share of the property if no partition?

Dear Sir, We are 3 brothers and 2 sisters. All are married and my father is no more. My mother is in the influence of my youngest brother. My youngest brother has captured all the property except very few land on which i am farming. My brother is every day creating social discord not to give me my share and is of the way to harm me. And my mother is neither distributing property nor writing that property to my youngest brother. Recently, my mother has registered residence in the name of both my brothers and we are residing in a ancestral small room which they also tend to evacuate from us. Towards this they quarrel and harms us. We has registered FIR in the police station, but police is not initiating any action against them and has taken bribe. My brothers also threatens our neighbours not to speak any thing to the police. Now at this juncture what should i do. Can I sell my share of property. Do I need the concurrence of either my brothers or mother. Kindly advise

Answers (3)

319 votes

First you file a partition suit before the court. Then, after partition you can do what you want to do with your property. It's your discretion after the partition whether to sell out the property or to possess it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

108 votes

If the property is your father, you are very much entitled for one share, along with you Mother and all brothers- sisters. In this situation you can sell your share. No body can debar you. But If the property is in name of your mother, then matter will be different

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
52 votes

In ancestral property every share holders have equal rights over the property. Your mother has got no right to registered the part of the property to one of your brother. But to sell your property you need to get the property divided.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles