Builder has sold illegal floor to us

We have bought a flat, its been sold as 4th floor to us. Builder told us that first floor is mezzanine floor, it counts as ground floor (STILT Parking), mezzanine, first, second, third, fourth. Now, we got to know that its illegal floor because mezzanine floor has same height. so, we are having trouble to sale it and even there is rumors like it could be demolished. As per Delhi MCD, the allowed height can be 15 Meter as master plan 2007 and current height of Building is 16.1544 Meter. We have registry with us which clearly states that this floor registered as 4th floor in government documents. Now, I need to know what action can be taken against builder, owner of that property if this situation arise. Please suggest on it.

Answers (3)

191 votes

Hi first of all u can file a complain against him and all in the police station
Where u will be having all the documents and all and the proof the document and all the sale deed and all u have the right to tell in the complaint that how he has cheated u and all by selling the floor and all

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

118 votes

Dear Client

Firstly, you have not specified that when did you buy the flat. If it is within limitation (we can figure out after we know full facts) you may file a suit for cancellation of sale deed against the builder (in case you do not want to sell the property). However, you may alternatively file a consumer case against the builder demanding compensation from the builder for defective services by virtue of which he sold you a fourth floor instead of third floor. You can also get a complaint case filed against the builder for cheating and fraud. Please feel free to contact to discuss more. You may fix an appointment to meet me at my office or call for detailed discussion. Final advice will depend on perusal of documents.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
315 votes

you may send a Legal Demand Notice, stating your grievances. Further, you may file a suit for damages. It shall also accord for a criminal case of cheating. For more information, feel free to have a word with me. All the best.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles