Bought a land on wife's name can elder brother ask share in it

I am government employee younger in my family I bought a land on my wife name in the year 1995 . I am about to file a partition suit for my ancestral property . My query is , will my elder brother can claim any share of my land bought by me through my own income in my wife name ?

Answers (3)

287 votes

No your elder brother can not ask got any such land that has been bought by you and on your own income even on your own name and wife's name.
It entirely belongs to you. You can proceed for partition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

158 votes

No it is your self acquired property and not a part of your ancestral property. Your brother or sister can ask for partition only from your ancestral property

You need not worry about the same

Hope this was helpful

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
223 votes

No, your elder brother can not claim any share in a property bought by you in the name of your wife. This will not be treated as ancestral property for partition. Even other wise if the property may be purchased by you by the funds provided by your elder brother, in that case your elder brother has to prove that he had funded for the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles