Stop paying rent ,until my deposit gets even is right thing to do?

My lanlord seems like a con, though i have a legal agreement(formed by his lawyer brother); I have come across incidences of him not paying his debt and money to people, like he hant paid society charges 70K for last 2 yrs, neither refuded last tenants deposit, neither his bank loan, all these people have been banging my door, I'm sure i'll be again one victim, he wont refund my security deposit. How should i act? Should i give a notice to cut my rent from deposit else refund it? how to do this legally? that 70K i paid for deposit was all i had, i dunno how to get it back , so i can move .

Answers (1)

473 votes

As per the tenant agreement, usually Security deposit is refunded at the time of giving  peaceful possession.

We suggest that you speak to your landlord and adjust the rent with security deposit.

If he does not pay our security deposit send a legal notice through a lawyer and thereafter file suit for recovery alongwith interest

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."