Rent not paid by government department what can i do

Hi All, I have a commercial property in Chandigarh, rented out to a Punjab Government Vigilance Department. They have been delaying rent from the last couple of years and situation has even worsened now with almost 4 month rent pending from their end. Whenever I ask for a rent, they usually tell me that the bill has already been sent to Treasury department. But, the reality is Treasury doesn't have sufficient funds. That's why they keep on delaying rent. Could anybody please suggest what can be done in this matter?

Answers (1)

495 votes
You can send the government department an urgent late rent notice includes many features and if does not reply for the same to you can issue a Eviction notice to your tenant.

If the tenant still does not pay the rent, you may approach the court under the Rent Control Act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."