New tenant asking me to return the security deposit

I was living in a flat, sharing it with other 2 boys. It is a 2 bhk flat I was sharing the master bedroom while other boys were sharing other room and hall respectively. Before vacating the flat, every one has to find a replacement for their rooms, I did the same. There was another condition that I had to share the bathroom with another boy. I found a replacement Mr X he shifted after I vacated and he transferred rent as well as security deposit to me. Now that new guy had some quarrel with the current guyz living and is aksing me return the deposit and threatening to file a case against me

Answers (1)

408 votes
The person cannot recover the security deposit from you. Landlord tenant relationship is governed by the rent agreement and the person who has entered into rent agreement with the landlord can end the tenancy by issuing a notice and the security deposit has to be recovered by the landlord.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."