My tenant has not paid rent for the past 2 months. What should I do?

My tenant has not paid rent for the past 2 months. He is never at home due to which I have placed and additional lock on the door. Now it’s been 2 months more since he came back.

Now I think he is on a run and is never coming back. I tried calling his number but it is not valid. His belongings are in the house only. Can I proceed now against him and what to do with his personal belongings?

Answers (1)

270 votes

You have to issue legal notice to tenant to vacate premises on account of default in payment of rent. 

And file an eviction suit, if tenant does not appear in court suit would be decided exparte in your favour.

You cannot place an additional lock on the house. It is still legally in possession of the tenant. For removal of his belongings you need court order.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."