quesMaintenance charges when the premises is less than even 500 sq.ft

I am 85 years old and staying in the building since last 50 years+. My landlord has given me a bill to pay taxes and maintainace arrears from 2008 till today amounting Rs. 60,000+ (while the rent I am paying today is Rs. 193 for the premises which is less than 600 sq.ft (it is in Shivaji Park area, Mumbai -28. Can you please help/guide me. I am 85 years of age and a poor retired bank official from a local co-op Bank. Want should i do?

  • ans

    With respect to bills pertaining to taxes such Corporation Tax or other property Tax, the owner is liable to pay.

    However regarding maintenance charges, legally a tenant is required to pay.

    So we suggest you write a letter to landlord stating that you are liable to pay maintenance charges. Further, also please ask the owner to charge the maintenance charges on yearly basis.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Landlord/Tenant lawyers in India

Similar questions

Can we make backdated rent agreement to be valid for passport address proof. Means i…
Is it ok to lie about being married to your landlord on the rental agreement…
For flat given on lease society is charging more than 10& service charges extra in…
We have taken a house for Rent at Kolkata (Rent Rs.14000/- , Advance Rs.30000/- lease…

Landlord/Tenant Lawyers in India

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Ujwal Phasate

  Kukde Lay Out
 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Rajat Joseph

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 15 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly