Lease in court files. Landlord sends notice to vacate. What to do?

We have a shop in Delhi from last 36 years where we are tenants and we have a lease document for 99 years which was between my father and the landlord. Both of them died post which the landlord's son filed a case for binaries need on us but we submitted a proof that he is working on a good package and he withdrew the case two years back.


The said lease is not registered and it is made on a plain paper with revenue stamp and two witness signatures out of which one is alive. We put the lease in court file in Jan 2011-May 2014. Now the landlord sends us another notice to vacate the shop for his need.


What should we do?




No, you cannot rely on the lease deed as firstly it is virtually a sale deed and moreover, any lease deed beyond the period of 11 months is required to be registered as per law. But your lease deed is not registered and therefore it shall be inadmissible in the Court of law. 


You are at best month to month tenant and if your rent is less than 3500 then you shall be governed by the Rent Control Act otherwise under Transfer of property Act.



Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Lease Agreement Commercial Property

4.4 | 152 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Commercial Lease review by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Landlord / Tenant Advice Session by Phone

4.7 | 498 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your landlord / tenant issue
Lease Agreement Drafting - Commercial Property

4.7 | 188 ratings
30 Min Into call + Start to finish help - Commercial Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Registration of Lease Agreement

4.4 | 102 ratings
Registration of lease agreement through a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Refund of Security

4.8 | 389 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Document Review - Lease Agreement Residential Property

4.6 | 132 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Residential Lease review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Tenant Eviction

4.6 | 361 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Lease - Residential Property

4.8 | 271 ratings
Residential Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

We have got order from court to vacate my office premises in 2 months that is by 2nd Oct If they file EP how is the procedure n how long it takes is t…

Read More

We gave our house on rent in 2015. We prepared a notarized (NOT registered) agreement of 11 months. After 11 months, we continued with the same rentee…

Read More

My father owns an ancestral piece of land . some of it has commercial space . grandfather gave a small shop to dhaba owner 50 years ago at a rent of m…

Read More

My granny has given a room to stay on rent at Rs:25,that time photo pass system was that ,its almost 18 years -20 years before thing ,Case is still in…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue