Lease amount not refunded What legal action can I take

I'm from madurai working in chennai. I took a house for lease from 6th Oct'12 for 11 months agreement and stayed in that house for only 3 months due to my mother health problem. We went to our native for some months as the owner said he will refund the amount if any party comes. But when I came here now the owner have left the house for rent and haven't given my amount(Rs.1,75,000). He keeps on telling like next month and so on. What is the legal procedure to file a case. I haven't extended the agreement and it is from 6th Oct'12(11 months) whether it is valid. I've the original document.

Answers (2)

174 votes

What were you doing for all these four years ?

In my opinion the claim may be barred by limitation.

Do you have any written communication from the house owner for refund?

Have you ever made any request for refund in writing?

Do you have any evidence for the demand made so far?

Even now you may issue a legal notice to the house owner demanding the refund of your amount, wait for his reply and then plan to initiate recovery action as per law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

90 votes

U have short span of time u have to get the money within that period n if u don't do that ur case will barred by limitations n then u cannot get money back by any way
This it's advice u to start process sooner any type of delay can get u in trouble
With regard
Sanjay Rajpurohit

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."