Landlord not returning the security deposit after verbal agreement.

My brother had taken a room on rent without properly looking at the premises and without an agreement about two weeks ago as he was assigned to work in Bangalore and needed accommodation urgently.

He made a deposit of Rs 30,000 in the bank account of the loandlord .The rent of the room was agreed to be Rs 12,000 per month.

However on reaching there, he did not like the place. So it was verbally agreed between the owner and my brother that my Brother will stay there only for ten days and pay an amount of Rs 10,000 for his stay and then vacate which he did.

Landlord not repaying security deposit.

Answers (1)

482 votes

We would recommend that first you send a legal notice to the landlord through a lawyer asking him to pay back your deposit.

Also send him a letter specifically stating that vacant and peaceful possession of the premises has been handed over.

Even If he doesn't reply to the legal notice then a case can be filed against him regarding the recovery of your dues in the concerned civil court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."