Landlord does not give rent receipt

My landlord doesn't give me rent receipt. He takes rent in cash. I have no proof that I have paid him rent. Can it cause trouble? I have signed a lease deed on estamp for 11 months with a lock in period of 6 months according to which, -- In any case if the lessee will leave the premises with in the period of six months then the lessee shall must pay the rent of six months to the lessor. What does it mean? In total 6 months rent or 6 months rent besides the regular rent I have already paid? In case I leave the flat before 6 months, what will happen? Thx a lot

Answers (1)

221 votes

Yes, it can cause trouble, you must pay rent by money order or you must send SMS or email to your landlord that you have paid the rent and nothing is due as a proof of payment of rent. locking in period is only to secure the rent for the lock in period and if you leave you would be required to pay rent for the lock in period and landlord can also adjust the same from security amount if you do not pay. if you leave the premises before 6 months then you would be liable to pay the rent for the balance period of lock in period.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."