Landlord asking me huge electricity bill which not possible.What to do

I was staying on a rent in Gurgaon and had paid 40,000 deposit to my Landlord. I lived there for 3 mths n I vacated the place on 31st August however my landlord is not returning my deposit money as per him i have used electricity worth 52000/-. (which is unbelievable for 1 BHK flat) Upon asking for electricity bill he says that it is not received by Haryana electricity board from last 4-5 mths. I pretty sure that he is lying and has no intention of returning my money. There is a proper rent agreement that i have which has no lockin period as such.I live in Mumbai now can i file a case here?

Answers (1)

216 votes

You will not be able to file a civil suit for recovery etc. for the amounts owed to you from Mumbai. You will need to approach the Gurgaon District Court and as such you can engage a lawyer there do file your case and initiate appropriate civil proceedings.

You could however file a criminal complaint at your local police station in Mumbai however it would be wishful thinking to expect any helpful action to be taken by them.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."