Charged tenant for damages tenant threatening to take legal action

I am a owner of flat in Pune. I have charged my tenant small amount for the damage in the flat and returned rest of the deposit. He has been threatening me to file complaint under consumer protection act. My question is what are my legal rights and how to respond to this issue. Whatever I have charged him is for legitimate damages.

Answers (1)

217 votes

Your tenant is not a consumer as per the consumer protection act, so please dont worry.

If as per the rent agreement the clause of damages are mentioned then you can deduct the amount from the security deposit and thereafter refund the said amount.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."