Chairman of society stopping with my friend from paying me a visit.

Hii I am tanent at a housing society and the chairman has bar my friend to visit me as he has some personal issue with her... can he legally do that. My friend was ex resident of the society and nobody else has any issue with her. The chairman always put such rules on tanents to satisfy his ego... plz advice what action can be taken.

Answers (1)

220 votes

No your chairman cannot impose such unreasonable restriction upon you. Take the matter up with the RWA. If he creates an issue when your friend is coming over, then approach the local police station and have the issue sorted. As long as your landlord does not have an issue, there is little the housing society could do to stop your friend from visiting you at your home.

Sadly, in such situations the police is of very little help and at times they may even side against you. There is no legal mechanism in place to counteract such actions of a RWA or Housing Society. It all comes down to who your landlord chooses to support. If this continues to bother you then it would better to move to another location. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."