quesCan mother ask for her share in rent separately from tenant?

After my father's death (no will), we four legal heirs (3 sons and a mother) agreed on a rent settlement with the tenant to provide the full rent to the eldest son and that he would deposit 3/4th share of the money into our mother's account.


After some family dispute, my mother approached the tenant to send the 3/4th share to her separately, which the tenant agreed on but with a consent letter of all 4 legal heirs. The eldest brother did not agree to it and is not giving consent to the new settlement.


According to the law, can the mother demand 3/4th share of the rent from the tenant? Can the tenant demand consent of all legal heirs, as it will not be possible. Please advice.


  • ans


    First of all, we suggest you to apply for a legal heir certificate. A legal heir certificate is issued by the government for various purposes like to establish a relationship with the deceased and also, to establish an ownership. 


    Thereafter, you will have to execute a fresh rent agreement, which will be in the name of the four legal heir as specified in the Legal heir certificate. 


    The rent agreement then should specify that the rent will be divided 1/4th. This implies that you will have to specify that consideration will be made in the following manner in favor of the following person vide cheque.


    Yes, your mother can claim her share, but in a proper manner which has been mentioned aforesaid.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Landlord/Tenant lawyers in India

Similar questions

I work for a nationalized bank and my bank provides us lease for accommodation. We…

i have rented my building to union bank of india.the rent agreement has expierd on…

Hello I have rented out a flat in mumbai, It has been five months now.…

Hi Lawyer, I am working in Mumbai and looking for a place to live in…

Landlord/Tenant Lawyers in India

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Ujwal Phasate

  Kukde Lay Out
 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Rajat Joseph

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 15 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly