Can I give my husbands flat on lease and sign the agreements

I am a housewife living with my children in Mumbai and my husband is the owner of the house. We have 2 houses.However, due to some complications we have disowned him and we are estranged. I don't know where my husband lives and he has not visited us since 2009. Since the pay the electricity bill and maintenance, I'm in due process of changing this house to my name. But my question is - Can I give my other flat on rent to anybody? Can I sign for it since I'm his wife? My society keeps telling me that I can't give the flat on rent because I'm not the owner. Is that true?

Answers (1)

310 votes
Since your husband is legally the owner of the flat, you cannot sign rent agreement on behalf of your husband. This will amount to forgery. You can only sign the rent agreement on behalf of your husband if he has issued a power of attorney. 
Therefore it is advised that get the title of the property transferred in your name and then rent the flat.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."