Can I ask a tenant to vacate if I require property for self use

I am a landlord age 89 years having a building in Mumbai, which has about 40 commercial tenants. I do not have any office for my own use. Do have I a right to claim from any of the tenants to vacate the premises and occupy for my self use or for my sons use. At present my son is also having a tenanted office which if I get I can gift it to him. Due to my age , Can I give my son the POA to file a legal case on my behalf for vacating the tenant. What will be the cost and time involved.

Answers (1)

338 votes

Landlord may move the court to recover possession on the ground of reasonable and bona fide requirement under section 16(1)(g) of the Maharashtra Rent Control Act, 1999. However, the onus is on the landlord to prove the same and the court shall weigh the level of hardship involved for tenant or landlord before passing an eviction decree.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."