Procedure of claiming ancestral property situated in India by an NRI

I am woman settled with my husband in Australia. I am an NRI. We have ancestral properties in Tamil Nadu both from mother’s and father’s side. I came to know that my share of the property( father’s side) has been sold by my eldest brother. I need to take action. I also wish to know if I can claim a share from mother’s side property.

Answers (1)

138 votes

You have to issue a Legal notice to all including the buyer who are parties to the sale of your share of property. You have to move the jurisdictional court to claim your share.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular International Law Lawyers

Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the International Law Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."