If a treaty is signed by Parliament, is it binding on the citizens?

If a treaty is expressly approved by the Parliament, is it then automatically binding on Indian citizens? Or, must the legislation approving the Treaty have particular language in it that makes it binding on the Indian people?


What language is the domestic legislation required to contain?




When a treaty is approved, it is usually done in the nature of a Bill presented in the Parliament and passed and notified as an act. Any law passed and notified becomes binding on those which are required to be bound by the act, it can be the Government or the people. The domestic legislation is basically a municipal statute.


An example of this would be amendment to Patents Act in the year 2005, to conform to the TRIPS agreement.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular International Law Lawyers

Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Dr. Sudhir Ravindran
Guindy, Chennai
20 years Experience
Advocate Geetinder Singh
Lawrence Road, Amritsar
8 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the International Law Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

HI, I am a nepali girl and my fiance is Indian from Lucknow. He is Hindu Punjabi. My family is not Supporting us but his family is ok with our relatio…

Read More

I am indian and completed 8 project for my foreign client. He made my payment but after one month filed chargeback and all payment reversed. I Contact…

Read More

I went to the US for treatment in the year 2010 and the year 2015 for psychological medical treatment. I felt the staff members who were medically tre…

Read More

I work in Embassy of Poland. I wish to adopt a lady as mother who is elder than me. She taught me for three years. She is from Poland. I don't kno…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue