How to get birth certificate for NRI person born in Bombay

We are NRIs staying in USA in California. My mother is with me in US and she wants to apply for green card. The authority is insisting for birth certificate. She does not have one as in her birth time such practice was rare. She was born 60 years back in a government hospital in Bombay. How to get a birth certificate, please.

Answers (1)

Your mother has to authorize a relative ( as defined in Registration of Births Deaths ACT) by an affidavit sworn before a Notary at California. The authorized relative has to approach the hospital where your mother was born to check in the register of the hospital. The relative has to approach the Registrar of births and deaths by an application for birth certificate. If he provides, ‘FINE’.Otherwise, obtain a ‘NO’ from him and move the jurisdictional court to direct the registrar to issue the certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular International Law Lawyers

Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Dr. Sudhir Ravindran
Guindy, Chennai
20 years Experience
Advocate Geetinder Singh
Lawrence Road, Amritsar
8 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the International Law Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

i got a query from an agent of Ghana for a tender. i don't know him & we are discussing trade terms from several days. According to him, tende…

Read More

I am from Bangalore. I am an exporter. I had exported to a customer at Bangladesh red chilies. It was an Irrecoverable Letter of Credit Transaction wo…

Read More

Hi, I am taking my ex-wife and my inlaws for civil fraud in Canada and I wanted to know supposing that we are going to win the case will that judgment…

Read More

We are a company in USA. A company at Mumbai is owing us US$ in lakhs. We have an ex-parte decree against the debtor for winding up. We sought opinion…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue