Does my inheritance right change if I convert to Islam?

I am born to a Hindu. I am married to a Muslim girl and have two children. To get married I converted to Islam. We are in Dubai since few years. My father inherits ancestral property. He has now divided the property to my brothers and one sister and has not given me a share. He says that since I have converted to Islam, my rights to Hindu ancestral property has ceased. What shall I do? Don’t I have the right to claim? Can my children claim this?

Answers (1)

335 votes

You have all the rights to have a share of your ancestral property. Conversion to Islam has not taken away your rights to this property. Your father is wrong in his assumption. Law does not support such views. The Hindu Succession Act is favouring your rights. However, your children have no rights to claim ancestral property since they are born to you and your wife both being Muslims and Hindu Succession Act is clear that they have no rights.

You can apply to the jurisdictional registrar for a mutation following required procedure. If he rejects, you can move the Court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular International Law Lawyers

Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the International Law Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."