Does my inheritance right change if I convert to Islam?

I am born to a Hindu. I am married to a Muslim girl and have two children. To get married I converted to Islam. We are in Dubai since few years. My father inherits ancestral property. He has now divided the property to my brothers and one sister and has not given me a share. He says that since I have converted to Islam, my rights to Hindu ancestral property has ceased. What shall I do? Don’t I have the right to claim? Can my children claim this?

You have all the rights to have a share of your ancestral property. Conversion to Islam has not taken away your rights to this property. Your father is wrong in his assumption. Law does not support such views. The Hindu Succession Act is favouring your rights. However, your children have no rights to claim ancestral property since they are born to you and your wife both being Muslims and Hindu Succession Act is clear that they have no rights.

You can apply to the jurisdictional registrar for a mutation following required procedure. If he rejects, you can move the Court.

Popular International Law Lawyers