SECTION 181 IPC - Indian Penal Code - False statement on oath or affirmation to public servant or person authorized to administer an oath or affirmation

Last Updated: 01 Mar, 2024
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty


Table of Contents

  1. Description of IPC Section 181
  2. IPC 181 in Simple Words
  3. IPC Section 181 related FAQs

Description of IPC Section 181

According to section 181 of Indian penal code, Whoever, being legally bound by an oath or affirmation to state the truth on any subject to any public servant or other person authorized by law to administer such oath or affirmation, makes, to such public servant or other person as aforesaid, touching that subject, any statement which is false, and which he either knows or believes to be false or does not believe to be true, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, and shall also be liable to fine.

IPC 181 in Simple Words

In simple words, Section 181 of the Indian Penal Code states that if someone under oath or affirmation knowingly gives a false statement to a public servant or authorized person, they may be punished with imprisonment for up to three years and may also have to pay a fine.

LawRato 641+ Lawyers are online

Connect with a criminal lawyer in one minute

Offence : Knowingly stating to a public servant, on oath as True that which is false

Punishment : 3 Years + Fine

Cognizance : Non-Cognizable

Bail : Bailable

Triable : Magistrate First Class

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

Legal Questions Answered by Top Lawyers on IPC 181

Find the best lawyer for IPC Section 181 charges

FAQ's on IPC Section 181

What is IPC 181?

IPC Section 181 False Statement on Oath or Affirmation to Public Servant or Person Authorized to Administer an Oath or Affirmation

What is the case law of Section 181?

Section 181 of the Indian penal code states that anyone who is legally bound to tell the truth about a subject by an oath, affirmation or any other form of a statement to a public servant, or any other person authorized to administer oaths or affirmations, may make any statements to this person or public servant,...

What is Section 181 of the CPC?

A Court may investigate or try any offence of kidnapping, abduction or concealment of a person within the local jurisdiction of which that person was kidnapped, abducted or conveyed.