What will happen if me and my girlfriend elope

I and my girlfriend belong to Hindu religion. She has been engaged to a person by her family. She wants to marry me and so do I. What would happen if we run away from our homes and marry each other?

Answers (4)

160 votes

Nothing will happen. There is a recent Supreme Court Judgement, which says that no one has the right to interfere, if two adults want to marry. If the matter does go to court, under any circumstance, then the Supreme Court would go by the law and not by Caste or gotra.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

325 votes

If you both are adults and want to marry each other then there is no impediment to the same. You both are adults and choose your spouse.
If you wish to go for a court marriage you may contact me and I can arrange the same for you without any hassle. If you are getting any threats from you parents or relatives, we can also seek protection from the Court.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
91 votes

If you both are majors then you can marry the person you like and there is nothing in law to prevent you to choose your life partner. However, in case the girl is getting married to you against her parents wishes then the girl's parents can lodge an FIR against you for abducting their daughter on the pretext of marriage. In that case you shall have to face legal consequences. However, if the girl makes a statement before the police or Magistrate that she is getting married to you with her consent then in that case you shall not be arrested.

105 votes

Don't worry if you want to get merry with your girlfriend nobady stop you. But first I want to know about your age you are able or not to get merry if boy age is 21 and girl is 18 so nobady refuse to get merry and police also help if you want and I will help you for your marrieg.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."