Validity of second marriage if no divorce is taken in first marriage

21-Apr-2023 (In Family Law)
I am hindu. Recently I came to know that my son got married a christian girl in the year 2003 in a house and registered. They got a daughter. For the lady this was her second marriage and her first husband is still alive and they have never approached the court for divorce. She is not willing to show any of her ID Card. Can I take legal action to prove that her second marriage is invalid.
Answers (2)

Answer #1
984 votes
Dear Sir/Madam,
Your Son is the right person to seek for the remedy. It's him who has been affected. Initially, just check with your son if he has the knowledge that the lady was married already. Re marriage is invalid, if the first marriage is in subsistence.
Answer #2
782 votes
Surely you can take legal action. But before that you would collect details regarding when that lady had first marriage, and whether it was registered or in any church. You should collect all evidence regarding first marriage of that lady and also confirm whether the first husband is alive and no divorce will taken place between them, If you collect all information then you can take legal action.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."