Is there a special procedure to marry a divorcee?

I am a hindu, want to marry a divorcee woman, who having a child of 14yrs and she is 4years elder than me as per documentation. We are having 10years relationship and the child called me father. What is the procedure?

Answers (5)

103 votes

You did not mentioned to which community does the lady belongs to. Assuming her to be hindu you can marry her as per Hindu Law and you can also marry her under special marriage act. Even if she is not a hindu you can marry her under Special Marriage Act

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

308 votes

You can marry the woman and you need to adopt the child through a registered adoption deed for which you need to have NOC from both of his biological parents. But in my opinion without detail discussion proper consult is not possible.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Shashi Kant Sharma
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
213 votes


There is of course no impediment in marrying a divorcee, only that you register your marriage under special marriage act through a marriage registrar.

The only thing that is necessary is adopting the child through court, which is necessary for the child and you. You may contact me for further procedure.

326 votes

No there was no problem to get marry, if the lady already obtained the decree of divorce from the court, may be the lady elder then u can marry her , if u both are major in age and most simple way to get marry is go to the marriage registrar and register your marriage .

317 votes

Go and get Special marriage. The Registrar asked for submit the Decree Copy of said Divorce and if she have copy of Decree of Divorce then it is no problem to marry her. After it you can arrange social marriage also. There is no problem as per law.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."