×

Complaint against torture by step mother

My mom passed away 8 years before of Cancer. My father married 5 ago to a divorcee with 3 children (1 daughter, 2 sons). Now the problem started after one year of my marriage. Step mom is continuosly mental torturing my wife, me and my own brother. My father changed attitude towards us. My step mom makes her son and her daughter in law and her own daughter to stay in my house which is my own father and mother's, making problems even worse.. Is there anything i can do ? Please help...

What do you mean by "my house which is my own father and mother's"? Even if the property exclusively belonged to your late mother, your father is a legal heir and it is jointly vested with you, your brother and the father. There are no easy solution.

Yes, the property could be partitioned. But that alienate your father's feelings against you. Anyway, you are grown up. Think of the option of shifting to a separate accommodation along with your brother.

It is very difficult to collect, from your such a small querry, the reasonable datas for giving a proper legal remedy. What I understood from you is that the house is in the name of your father and deceased mother. If that be so, your mother right would be devolved upon you after her demise. Then you and your brother/sister are the co-owner with your father. You can apply for partition of the the house demanding your share to be separated. But it will take time to dispose the matter. Your wife can approach a women cell for getting a speedy /temporary remedy.

Advocate Preeti Joshi