Complaint against partner for breach of contract of marriage.

I was in a relationship with a boy for 11 years including almost 5 years of physical relationship post promising for marriage. But the time when marriage came into picture his parents demanded for for dowry indirectly which I opposed and thus the boy denies for marriage. What can be done in this?

Answers (3)

260 votes

Hello, You have several remedies , like you can go for criminal complaint for dowry and rape, you can also file DV case . contact office for details.....................................................

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

69 votes


The following reply is apropos the query raised by you. Ma'am I would like to apprise you that in such a situation, you can initiate appropriate crimimal proceedings against the said person for both demand of dowry and giving you false assurance of marriage to have physical relaationship with you. Both offences are cognizable and non bailable and punishable with rigorous imprisonment. A complaint can also be made against the parents of the boy for demand of dowry and accordingly committing various offences punishable under the Penal Code.

Adv. Harshit Vashisht

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
60 votes

Look if you have proof of demand of dowry you can file a case under dowry prohibition far having congegual relation between two consenting adult for long duration can be covered under live in relationship or could be considered married subject to facts.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."