Can parents of an adult woman legally force her to live in their house

I am 21 year old girl. My family is not supporting me in job and marriage issues. I want to live my life by my choice. I cannot handle the mental pressure my family gives me. They are not allowing me anything to do by my choice. I want to leave house. Is it legally correct to leave house and live life by my choice. If I leave home then what should I do if my family forcefully tries to take me home back. I don't want to keep any relation with my family members

Answers (5)

303 votes

Salutations Sir, Just read your query. We at Mittal Law Offices deal with these type of cases. We will get back to you on your contact details to have an elaborate discussion and offer all possible help from our side.Kindly wait for our call. Thanks.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

142 votes

No1 can force u to live according to their choice ur a mature girl and free to take ur own decisions.ur family can't force u according to their choice.dont bother about it and feel free and live ur life according to ur choice

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
52 votes

Your family cares for u. At this age it is very very common. U can leave ur home at any time there is no legally ri8 or wrong. U r 21 ..U can take ur own decisions. Take steps very carefully because every things r wrong in the state of anger.

87 votes

You are an adult and our law gives the liberty to the adult to choose her/his own path of life. Your family members cannot force you to get married. If your family members forces you to take back, you can lodge police complaint. You can give publication in news paper pf snapping your relations with your family members and keep the copy of the News paper for records purposes.

252 votes

Yes mam you have fully right to chose your partner as well as your life. Parents are only care taker of a female child when she attend maturity than she have full right to chosen her partner/ life style. If the parents object your choice than you make a call at 1091 than state government provide protection to you.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."