Can maintenance be claimed from husband who is jobless

hindu brahmin. she filed a divorce, took away my two children and now asking for maintenance as well. Is it possible? she is working and applied for divorce on the grounds that i tortured her (i am mentally ill) but she had illegal affair before marriage and continued the contact after marriage. i lost my job due to depression. i am jobless.

Answers (2)

If you jobless can claim for maintenance from your wife,only under Hindu or Special Marriage Act the husband can claim maintenance
only of he is unemployed. Disparity of income is excuse to claim maintenance from wife..Neither of the spouses has till now any right of share on the assets of the other.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

She can claim maintenance for the children as it is the duty of the father to maintain the children. If husband can prove that wife is earning or qualified to get a job and maintain herself, only then she is not eligible to get maintenance.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I am Hindu. My ex-wife filed a case under 125 CPC and lower court passed an order for Rs. 9000/-. I prayed for Revision to Judge Court and interim ord…

Read More

sir mai aur meri wife mutual divorce ke liye filling kiya tha 18 december ko hamara counceling bhi hua...fir six month ka time mila yani 20th june 201…

Read More

From beginning in-laws tortured me .startrd life n seperate houseaftrr few mother in-law has major influence on my hubby so issues continued…

Read More

My father abandoned me when I was a child (6.5 years) and my brother (3 years). My mother divorced him after few years (fasakh). We have not heard fro…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue