Transfer of property after death of grandparents to father's name

The flat where I reside is owned 50% by my father, 25% by my grandmother and 25% by my grandfather. My grandmother and grandfather expired last year. They had made a will in favor of my father to transfer the entire share in the flat in my father's name. But this will was not probated.. My father has 1 brother, 2 sisters and a widow and 2 children of my father's another brother.. Should we go for probating of will? Or should we go for relinquishment deed? What is the procedure for each? What would be the approximate expense for each? What would be the cost and procedure of transferring the share in my father's name after having done one of the above two procedures?

Answers (2)

76 votes

Dear sir, a will has to be probated in many however there are some exceptions based on territory where property is located. You need to get your will probated . A relinquishment deed also u can get excused preferences is to probate the will

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

224 votes

It would be advisable to probate the will. If uncontested you will be able to get the probate soon.
Going for relinquishment deed is a secondary option.
If it is agreed and understood between the family that your father will get the property probate would be the best alternative for your long term benefit

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles