Procedure to transfer joint property title to single ownership title

Hi, Me and my wife got divorced and there is a property(2 bhk flat) which registered on both of the names . Now i want to get that property from her. i got to know that release deed and GPA are the ways for this . Release deed : she wont come to do GPA (power of autorny): i want to take this from her and want to gift my property to my mother immediately. Which is the best way. Please suggest Thanks,

Answers (3)

312 votes

Hello Sir,
The best way to transfer your wife's share back to you is through a Release deed.. Nevertheless since you've decided to gift the property to your mother, both of you jointly can gift it to your mother to avoid stamp duty on two docts, since directly one gift deed within the family is made.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

198 votes

You need ask for partition of the property. Issue a notice to her and get a deed registered bergen you both with respect to the property wherein both of your share will be ascertained and with respect to your share you can gift it to your mother. In case if your wife doesn't agree for your notice and respond then file a suit for partition.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
224 votes

If both of agree to do these arrangements It will be OK
But as you put it seems to be not easy to have mutual arrangement as to ownership or transfer of rights
You may isseu a legal notice through an advocate expressing your desire and asking her to agree
If she does not
Then file a suit for the reliefs

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles