Procedure to obtain birth certificate of illegitimate child

sir , can we get birth certificate for a child born illegitimately ,

Answers (2)

295 votes

Yes...It is not necessary to mention both the parents name in the Birth certificate.The Supreme Court has directed municipal bodies not to insist on the name of the father while issuing birth certificates for children born outside wedlock, saying that in such cases, it should mention only the mother's name.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

72 votes

First of all, it is legally and morally incorrect to say it is an illegitimate child. The relationship may be illegitimate, but not the child born out of such relationship. Having said that, the procedure is the same as applicable to any child. First, obtain a birth certificate from the hospital mentioning the names of the father and the mother and then apply to the panchayat or the municipality or the municipal corporation for issuance of the birth certificate. It is better to include the name proposed to be given to the child in the birth certificate, in order to avoid any confusion later on.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles