Procedure to get property transferred to legal heirs after demise.

My father has a piece of land in his name but he is no more.Myself ,my mom and younger bro are the legal hier.i need to change it to my name . What is the procedure

Answers (5)

110 votes

Obtain death certificate and legal heir ship certificate of your father and ask your mom and your brother to execute a relinquish deed in your favour with respect to the property so that you get title to the whole property and if a partition deed is executed between you three then you get your share in the property through the partition deed.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

135 votes

On the assumption that it is your father's self-acquired property, his Class-I legal heirs comprising his (your father's) mother, your mother , your brother and you shall equally inherit the property by intestate succession. All of you should execute and register a family settlement deed, where all the other legal heirs relinquish their proportionate share in your favour.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
279 votes

There is no transfer needed in your case as the legal transformation takes place. Once the owner dies intestate without making any arrangement such as "Will" then the property will be inherited by all the legal heirs as per law. You can just obtain Death and Legal Heirship Certificate of your father and partition the property among yourselves. Property will get mutated in your names...

147 votes

The other legal heirs of your father has to relinquish their share over the said property of your father in favor of you or they can settle their undivided share of the property of your father in your favor by way of registration of relinquishment deed or settlement deed before the concerned Sub Registration office where the property lies.

185 votes

What do you mean change it to your name? Is your Mother and brother willing to totally transfer the property to you? If yes, you can get a Released Deed done in your favour. Once that is done then your Mother and brother cannot get any share in the property. If you are in Chennai, you can contact me.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles