Legality of foreign documents in India if not how to legalize it

What is the legality of foreign document in india.If not then what we have to do to legalise the document?

Answers (3)

86 votes

in india Indian courts and public authorities bound to recognise public documents executed and authenticated abroad in terms of Apostille certification, in one part kerala high court allows foreign document as per below ,while calcutta high court don't allow it.

The Court noted that the Apostille Convention, 1961 replaced cumbersome formalities of requirement of diplomatic or consular legalisation for foreign public documents and legalisation process of authentication by issuance of Apostille Certificate. Therefore, foreign public documents do not require legalisation if it bears Apostille certification. Since the notice period under the Act was over, the Court directed the Marriage Officer to process the application on the basis of the certificate and register the marriage in accordance with the provisions of the Special Marriage Act. [Abdul Manaf P. A. v. State of Kerala , 2015 SCC OnLine Ker 29460]

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

76 votes

Depends on the nature of the document and the country in which the document was executed. The documents can either be apostilled under the Hague convention or they can be legalised / counselraised at the Indian consulate situated in the foreign country.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
7 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
LH House, Bangalore
13 years Experience
216 votes

Depends on what type of document it is. Accordingly, the relevant provison of indian evidence act will apply.
Part 4 of the indian evidence act deals worh various types of documents their presumption under indian law and their admissability also.
You may contact for more details.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I got divorced and remarried wherein I have a son from my ex husband. Now I want to admit my son to the school and want his sir name to be the sir nam…

Read More

Age difference between my friend and his own brother is approx (less than) 6 month only according to his board certificate due to carelessness of scho…

Read More

Hi, I just want to know the procedure of changing nominee's name on property papers. Religion - Hindu…

Read More

Brought stamp paper for worth rs 25000 one party has signed on it and now the deal has been delayed. What can I do some thing with those stamp paper a…

Read More