Is notification in newspaper mandatory for name change

Hi, I got married 11 years back, both of us are Hindus. We have a marriage certificate under Special Marriage Act. My wife changed her surname from her father's surname to my surname 11 years back. All her documents like PAN, Aadhaar, Voter's card, bank passbooks etc. have her new surname but we have just realized that the name change affidavit that she did before public notary 11 years back after we received marriage certificate wasn't with any photograph and it was only by her own and wasn't joint and there was no notification in any newspaper. Is this an issue to prove this name change since we have marriage certificate + single affidavit instead of joint and name change notification not published to any newspaper and what is the resolution ?

Answers (1)

229 votes

in such cases instead of keeping a notarised document, you are requested to obtain an Affidavit attested by a First Class Judicial Magistrate which can be obtained from the court that lies within the jurisdiction of the police station to which your residence lies.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles